Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Improvements to the Panel Mount Connector

I haven't been happy with the 3-prong panel mount connector on my sous vide temperature controller which connected the RTD probe to the PID controller.  The connector had a spring-slide on it to keep it in place and I just didn't like the ergonomics of connecting and disconnecting it.

I then started building a replacement connector using a 2.5mm TRRS "headphone" style jack.  My goal with that was, in a pinch, be able to use the thermocouple probes from my iGrill and/or Maverick since they used 2.5mm TS style jacks.  At the end of the day, I just could not get the solder to hold well enough and had to switch to a 3.5mm TRS connector.

Now, the RTD probe has three wires to connect.  These headphone jacks, in any size, can have 2, 3, or 4 wire connections.  They are called, "tip", "ring" and "sleeve" connections in a nod to the old telephone switchboard days.  If there are three connections, it is "TRS" for Tip, Ring, Sleeve".  If there are four connections (like on your iPhone), they are "TRRS" for Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve.

And, again, I used 3.5mm TRS to hookup the RTP probe.


The Auber PID controller has 3 leads for input from the temp. probe and they are shown here facing the camera on the right.  Notice that I left the original leads going to the first connector and simply added 3 new leads going to the "headphone" jack.  This allows me to use either temperature probe.

The 3.5mm TRS connector is slicker, easier to connect and more-familiar to end-users.


No comments:

Post a Comment