Sunday, January 19, 2014

I Got an Android Tablet, and it Really Makes Me Appreciate My iPad

I've been the owner of a Asus Nexus 7 Android tablet for a little more than 24 hours.  This the first Android device I've actually owned, though I do have plenty of experience developing on the platform.  My initial thoughts?  It's just not as good as my iPad.  There; said it.

After opening the box and turning on the device, I spent over an hour-and-half updating the operating system and apps to first Jelly Bean, and then Kit-Kat.  This reminded me of getting a new Windows computer!

The Windows memories also came back when I realized that several of the out-of-box apps that were updating themselves were of absolutely no use to me.  I have no need for Google's Korean IME, or Pinyin character apps, yet I can't get rid of them or hide them from the Play Store.

And after those two system upgrades, the only difference I noticed was an updated icon on the Settings app...

Vertically scrolling through a webpage in Chrome is not the smooth visual on the Nexus.  The text moves in a jerky fashion and you can't read words in motion because they are blurry.  I end up reading, pausing, scrolling, reading.  It's a detail that Apple got right.

A small detail that I found peculiar is that when I open the view of currently running apps by touching the Menu(? -- I just had to Google what that button was named), you can close the apps by sliding them away.  This is similar to closing apps in iOS 7, but on Android you can't slide more than at the same time.  After double-pressing the Home button on the iPad, you can swipe up several apps at a time to close them.

After using the Nexus for an hour or so with just casual usage, the biggest difference in my opinion became known.  The bottom-left part of the Nexus became warm because of processor use, but only in a small spot.  Without any prompting, I handed it to my girlfriend and asked her what she thought of the device.  She immediately said, "It doesn't feel like an Apple product.  It's warm on the bottom, but cold on the top."

"It doesn't feel like an Apple product."  She's right, and it took using a non-Apple product to highlight that.

No comments:

Post a Comment