Friday, December 27, 2013

Ray Morgan .22LR #57

My great-uncle Ray Morgan was  gunsmith.  I never knew him, but apparently his .22 long rifles are to this day highly-regarded among competitive small-bore, prone shooters.

What Ray actually produced from his shop in New Haven, Conn were .22 caliber bolt actions.  When combined with a barrel, a trigger, and a stock, you have yourself a full rifle.  Morgan rifles are most-similar to either a Winchester Model 52, or a Remington 37.

Just yesterday I was fortunate enough to acquire a Ray Morgan -- Number 57.  There are less than 80 Ray Morgan rifles in existence (some say less than 60), and I've had my eye out for one for several years now.  This particular rifle is nice as its previous owner had been a gentleman named, George Stephens.  George had written an article about this particular rifle for Precision Shooting magazine, August 1999, so it's history is well-documented.  Mr. Stephens has unfortunately passed.

As with most competitive rifles, #57 has been modified over the years.  In the condition I acquired it, it's original Johnson barrel had been replaced by a stainless steel Hart barrel with a custom-built scope rail.  It has been re-stocked and pillar bedded in November of 1997 with a laminated walnut stock by Alex Sitman.  It has a Sam Gates rear sight and a Ray Steel front sight.  Family history aside, it's a very nice rifle and I'll probably never been a good-enough shot to appreciate its quality.

When I went to Plunsteadville, PA to pick-up the rifle from Gary Quinlan, I made sure to have him explain proper care to me:


2 comments:

  1. Hello Chris,
    I have #31, in what I believe to be unmodified, original condition. If you'd like any details, please contact me at LNJMAHER@aol.com.
    Larry Maher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks For sharing this Superb article.I use this Article to show my assignment in college.it is useful For me Great Work. 22LR rifle for hunting

    ReplyDelete