Monday, March 4, 2013

Problems with the Panel Mount Connector

In Rodney Spark's design (which is still excellent), he used a 3-prong Panel Mount Connector to make the RTD probe and its 3 leads detachable.  This connector reminds me of the type of connector you would see backstage for heavy duty audio equipment.  It includes a built-in latch mechanism and was easy to solder, but gave me a problem during the Creme Brulee cook.

To be fair, the root cause of the problem was my inexperience in soldering.  I had unsheathed too much of the leads on the probe side of the connector and the bare leads were touching and not sending the correct signal.  I thought this was occurring on the side of the connector in the box, which was driving me mad.  The fix came with a bit of electrical tape wrapped around the exposed leads to insulate them and keep them apart.  Things are working fine now.

I do, however, plan to supplement this connector with 2.5mm tip-ring-ring-sleeve connector like you have on your iPhone.  This will also give me 3 leads (4 actually) and I'm thinking in a pinch I can also use the thermocouples from my Maverick or iGrill with a little creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment