Monday, March 11, 2013

Pork Chop Sous Vide, Strike 1

While I had been planning to smoke a pork shoulder and duck this Sunday, a trip to Los Angeles this coming week made me rethink my leftover plans and switch to sous vide pork chops.  This actually turned into a big disappointment and was the first time I was not happy with my sous vide.

I selected six, very lean-looking, boneless pork chops from the grocery store.  Four were seasoned with a mustard-tarragon sauce and two were left to just salt and pepper.

Temperature: 145 F
Time: 6 hrs

Mustard-Tarragon Sauce
4 tablespoons brown spicy mustard
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon olive oil

The sauce was mixed and placed in the vacuum bags.

I was very disappointed in the results, specifically the tenderness and texture of the pork.  They were very dry and appeared overcooked.  I'm not sure if that was a result of remaining in the water bath for so long, or the cooking temperature.  This was also the first time I attempted to sear the meat on the propane grill.  That worked better since I could do them all at once and was easier to clean up than Canola oil splashed on the range.

Next time, I think I will try 141 F and I would like to test 3 hrs vs 6 hrs in the water bath.

The mustard-tarragon sauce.  I think this would actually make a good glaze if reduced in a sauce pan.  That's something for next time.
Vacuumed up and ready for bath time.

When I opened the bags, I poured out the sauce into a pan.  I was thinking about heating it and serving it, but didn't get around to it.  I will next time.

Notice the colorization difference between the plain and those cooked with the sauce.
After searing on the propane grill for about 30 sec each side.  I achieved some nice colorization.

Kinda tough, kinda dry, kinda "overcooked".  I don't consider it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment