Monday, June 3, 2013

Carolina-style BBQ Sauce

I wanted to try my hand at a vinegar-based "Carolina-style" BBQ sauce.  After some Internet searching, I came up with a recipe and made two other variations for testing.  I'm going to let it rest in the fridge and test them later.

My initial thoughts are that I am not pleased that the ingredients are separating in the jars and believe I need to add something to make them colloidal suspensions.

Version 1
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons sea salt
1/4 cup cayenne
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Version 2
1.5 cups apple cider vinegar
1 tablspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup cayenne

Version 3
1.5 cups apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup crushed red pepper flakes

I used apple cider vinegar as the base for each of the three versions of the sauce.

I picked up these really nice bowls from Smart & Final's restaurant supply section.

All my ingredients.  Missing from photo is the apple cider vinegar.  The top bag is cayenne pepper, paprika is below that and the red crushed pepper flakes are at the bottom.

Settin' out in a mason jar, "Carolina" style!

No comments:

Post a Comment