Monday, February 25, 2013

Sous Vide Build

An exciting day!  I'm starting the build of my sous vide temperature controller.

Back of the front face.

Front of the back face.  The center receptacle will be the controlled output.

Front of the front face.

Back of the back face.

First solder of the project.  Not bad.

Work in progress.

Wiring of the outlets.  The left-most receptacle is the power input.  The center power output is the regulated one.  The right receptacle is the non-regulated power output.  The thin red and black wires will connect to terminals 1 & 2 on the PID controller in order to power it.  The thicker red wires will connect to the terminals on the SSR, which will regulate that circuit.  Throughout my build, I used red for hot, black for neutral and green for ground.


I didn't know how to solder the connections to the plug.  My connections are sloppy and this was the most-frustrating part.

The RTD wired to the PID controller. 
Completed setup, other than the stirrer feature.  Notice the square marked for where the fan should go.

I ended up breaking the fan.  I used a 1/2" wood drill bit to hollow out a hole for the magnets to sit in.  Well, I tried to do that anyway and drilled right through the motor.  


Completed setup, using crock pot.  The crock pot is quite old and smells like burning, so I do not think it is the best test case.

No comments:

Post a Comment